Monday, June 2, 2008

Full Disclosure

I have started and stopped several blogs over the past few years. Each time, my desire to grow as a writer was soon crushed by the sheer boredom with whatever thin theme I hastily came up with. I'm a singer/songwriter, and my current writing skills (and attention span) seemed to be locked into a 3 minute time frame. Also, with a song, you can make it rhyme and maybe even dance to it.

I've heard for years that if you want to be a writer you should just write, many successful novelists have mentioned that bit of wisdom in countless interviews. I have been limiting myself with a too narrow focus, thinking I must write in order to produce, rather than writing for the simple joy I feel when creating something.

A few days ago, in preparation for an upcoming trip to Paris, I stumbled upon Misplaced In The Midwest. Here was a guy not only trying to accomplish many of the things I aim for, he was actually making it happen.
He started his blog as a daily writing exercise, which is what I should have done from the start.

So thanks, Misplaced In The Midwest, I'm totally copying you.

No comments: