Friday, September 12, 2008

Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season

We're as ready as we can be for what is probably going to be our last hurricane. My wife and I have sold the house and the business, and are staying with friends until we move to the Austin, TX area next week.

Hurricane Ike is currently a Category 2 storm, expected to strengthen to a cat 3 before making landfall sometime in the wee hours of Saturday the 13Th. It's one of the largest storms on record, almost as big as Texas. I helped my friend Neil hook up the generator this morning, the wives have plenty of chocolate and potato chips, I stocked up on water and diet cola yesterday, and the dogs have enough food and treats to last a few weeks. Now we wait.

I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast, and am a little sad to leave it. I've always marvelled at powerful displays of nature, and how most people come together in times of peril despite any differences they may have. Price gougers and looters are always the exception, despite the endless news casts posing them as the rule.

Corpus Christi is just a three hour drive from our new home, so I'll be able to get my saltwater fix when the urge hits me the strongest.

No comments: