Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Adapt or Die


I've always liked old. Old houses, old cars, old people, and the old way of doing things. I'm not a complete Luddite when it comes to technology. I love my DVR, for instance.

I do miss analog recording studios. I share the belief that analog sounds warmer, for want of a better term. There will always be arguments for and against the analog and digital recording formats, but digital is winning by attrition. The analog studios are disappearing almost as fast as the rate new digital equipment enters the marketplace. I've been putting off recording a new CD because I really wanted to use an analog studio, but the few places in town where I felt comfortable are now closed forever.

To that end I've decided to embrace technology and purchase a digital recorder and a studio quality microphone. While I rarely get nervous on stage, put me in a studio and I tend to choke, sometimes literally. Not only do I end up wasting the time of everyone involved, it's expensive to have a bad day in the studio. A bad day at home is still a bad day, but it's free.
So I'll do the basic recording myself. Once I get the vocals and rhythm guitar layed down I'll bring in a few other musicians to flesh out the sound. Then it's off to a professional studio for the final mix-down and mastering.
If all goes well I'll have the finished product in hand by early January.

No comments: